Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Communication

I have always been surprised and somewhat in awe at the marvel that stands before us today in a multitude of bodies. It has increased substantially in over the past few decades and become something that many take for granted. If you have eye problems and can't read big text such as the heading then I will clarify that I am talking about communication.

It seems I can't go anywhere without some communication.

Stranger- "Hello there old chap."
Me- "Do I know you...and did you just call me a chap?"

See what I mean? EVERYWHERE!

Speaking
E-mail
Instant Messaging
Telephone
Texting
Letters
Blogging
Walkie-Talkies
Clouds in the sky done by those little planes
(For those who play internet games): Steam and Ventrillo
Telekinesis (only for some of us I suppose)

The worst thing is when people try to combine two or more of these or other activities. It turns into a disaster. Have you ever seen some one texting someone, talking to someone else, playing a game, and sending the orders to disable a bomb through telekinesis, all at the same time. You got the person on the speaking end wondering if he is being heard, person on the texting end wondering what is taking so long, person playing the game with him wondering why his character isn't moving, and the guy trying to disable the bomb just wound up in the burn victim ward.

Now obviously this isn't always the case.

But I have been on the speaker/gaming side of it before (I rarely need help disabling a bomb... and I don't have a phone) and sometimes I just want to scream at the person.

Me- "HELLO!?! There is human interaction right here if you need it, I could have sworn we were having a conversation or that you were beating my character to kingdom come? Am I boring you with my presence"

Other Person- "Yeah I like that band as well"

Despite all that I can't help but feel communication is necessary. Or at least that it is something to pass the time with. I suppose I am communicating with you right now, so I can't exactly think that communication is some federal grievance.

I have been reading "Enders Game" recently, surprisingly it is my first time through. I am sure many of you would like to kill me since it has taken me this long to finally read it. But I got to the part where Graff tells Ender that the reason they fight the Buggers is because they have no way to communicate with them. I don't know if this will turn out to be true (I'm not done yet but almost there). But it seems like an interesting idea. Still I think it is taken to a bit extreme with the whole war thing.

Species 1- "Greetings and Salutations. I am happy to make your acquaintance and to have the honor of having first contact between our species"
Species 2 ( communicates through odors) - *Scent of Confusion* (smells like Lemon)
Species 1- "....hello...do you understand me. Can you hear me"
Species 2- *Scent of Awkward* (Mint with a mix of burnt rubber)
Species 1- "Why aren't you answering me" (pulls out blaster and shoots species 2)
Species 2- *Scent of Dead* (Peppermint and Fern Tree)
Species 1- "Mmm...Christmasy"

See... Overreacting.

Though maybe I ought to try that if someone starts texting when I'm talking to them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting.....Go on.....

Unknown said...

I'm not sure exactly what you were trying to say (what are you pro or con about with the whole communication subject... i didn't catch that)... but i can concur with you that people overstimulate them selfs and to often multi task things that should not me multi tasked; specifically communication.
I really liked your species 1 and species 2 duologue/situation. anyways, i enjoyed reading your blog, keep it up! If for nothing else for me to have a way to stimulate my brain and use words that aren't so vernacular as what i have to listen to all day in the summer! (this is sam morris btw)