Friday, June 13, 2008

Dreams....

... are said to be a gateway into our desires, our feelings, and our souls.
..
.
I must have one screwed up and twisted soul.

My soul seems to desire that I feel one or more of these emotions when I sleep
A) Confusion
B) Annoyance
C) Anger
D) Repetitive state of never ending boredom

Now this isn't to say that my dreams are not without merit, on the contrary I usually like my dreams and find enjoyment out of them for days to come as instances of them pop into my memory and I muse over the strangeness of them. It's like watching a blank television screen with random bits of a show being displayed at certain intervals. You get to sit there and think what in the world was going on and laugh at the utter stupidity of the scenes you see.

However during the night my mind has the tendency to slip in one or two dreams that are completely irritating. The worst is when my dream focuses on one task or thing that it goes through over and over again. I usually wake up feeling like I got hit by a car and fear going back to sleep because I know how bored I will be watching the same thing play out 500 more times (I wish I were kidding). Im going to step away from the annoying factors for a second and talk about the better and stranger parts of dreaming however.

Now as it may not come as a surprise to many of you but I play games, not just a few games but a lot of games. I admit that this probably isn't the best thing for me and probably is one of the reasons for my lack of social skills, but sometimes you just have to laugh at the silliness of things that come about from the mixture of games and dreams. The funniest thing to me is after playing a game for to long you start to use commands from the game in your dream to do things. It was naught a few days ago in which I was semi-dreaming (that weird dream state where your not completely unconscious yet but your mind has already started wandering into a hazy land of stories and oddities.) and I pushed the non-existent "E" key on my non-existent keyboard in order to grab and hold somebodies hand. This came from me playing to much Half-Life 2 in which in order to grab onto objects you push the "E" key....yeah kinda weird. But it gets even weirder. When I was younger and addicted to the online multi-player game Everquest (ah how naive I was to fall into such a sadistic life-stealing game) I would actually use in-game commands in order to do in-dream things such as going to sleep. Luckily it never got to the point where while I was awake I would use the in-game command /camp (turns off the game) in order to get to sleep...sadly I've read about people doing that.

Despite all the wacky things that I do to perform things in my dream I still think the storylines and appearances by people are the most interesting thing about them. Just two nights ago I participated in some sort of huge olympic relay or something like that in which I had to run, dash, polevault in swimming pools (not over, but in) and race to the top of an ancient evil tower in which I would then combat evil witches and discover the mysteries of the Eye o'er Orus (which I mistook the pronunciation as Eye of Horus...a new piece I just got for my laser chess game in real life). How you segway from olympics to ancient temples floating in the sky and battling witches over Egyption relics is WAY beyond me, yet my mind finds a way to do it. And the people...the people always baffle me, because there has to be at least a few out of place people. The two that have baffled me the past few dreams are Mr. Birrell from Lone Peak and Missy. Missy I haven't seen or heard from since school ended yet somehow decides to take part in the adventures I have with my usual appearing characters (usually Dan, Alex, Travis, or Elvis, unless the cast of characters is anonymous or miscellaneous). And then the REAL dumb founding one, Mr. Birrell. I would have to say HE takes the cake for strange appearances considering the fact that I have never had a conversation with him for more then 5 minutes (despite the fact he was one of my favorite teachers) and yet he shows up in key roles of my dreams, truely baffling.

Well you should all get to sleep

on second thought you are all probably asleep already and I need to get to sleep.

EDIT: So strangely enough I had another dream where people that I haven't seen or spoke to in a while popped up. This time Tasia Landon, and Young Tai Ahn along with Missy again. Though Young Tai isn't so strange since I did see him at Wendy's early this week. Tasia was on TV in my dream along with seeing her in *ahem* "real life".

1 comment:

Trina said...

Weston you surprise me. I enjoyed reading your blog and find it fascinating. As to dreams it would be interesting to study the differnce between men's dreams and women's dreams. I too have crazy dreams and most women have really weird dreams when they're pregnant. Corey has dreams and a lot of them are somehow tied to gaming as well. I think a lot can be learned in the study of dreams, but where do you start?